Good afternoon! I feel like I have so much to write about since my last post after yesterday’s breakfast. Brevity will be present so this post won’t feel like a novel!
Remember yesterday morning I mentioned how I was excited to go spend some time at the barn while the weather was still decent? That didn’t happen. I ended up taking my mom to Urgent Care because she really wasn’t feeling well. She had extreme dizziness so we decided it was better safe than sorry. She had been feeling dizzy for a few days but yesterday it was bad. I grabbed a spiced chai protein drink to have for my snack before I drove her to Roxboro. She was back there for a while, but her tests all came back relatively normal. We all, including her normal doctor, believe it to be a side effect of her dosage of prescribed medication. Booo, medication! I swear, medication can create more problems than you had to begin with! Not all the time, but that seems to be the case for my parents haha. My mom is doing much better today, so that is good.
When we got home from Urgent Care I fixed my lunch and ate it before I was off to my appointments! I fixed a pasta portion that I ate mixed with soup, a yogurt, trail mix and leftover buffalo turkey meatballs.I will try and summarize my appointments as best as I can!
Appointment with Mary
My appointment with Mary was great, as usual 🙂 She is so optimistic and you just can’t help but be in a good mood when around her. We talked about my previous week and my hunger levels. After discussing the notes I wrote down reflecting on my emotions/hunger levels before and after eating as well as discussing a bunch of other random things, like my dad and how he has been doing, she helped me to come up with a list of goals for the week.
- Letting go of control: Several times in my notes I wrote that I was comfortable with a meal because I cooked it. I need to work on being more comfortable if someone else makes dinner or if I don’t help. I feel like I have been practicing this – my mom has been cooking dinner for us some.
- Let go of the uncertainty: I mentioned that I was more comfortable not knowing how to count food if it was in the evening. If I don’t know how to count my breakfast or lunch I tend to struggle the rest of the day. Mary told me that was a perfectionistic trait that I needed to let go of because it isn’t making my life easier.
- Gradually relying less and less on my bubble sheet: this would be to practice fully listening to my body and it would further teach me that every day is not going to be the same.
- Journaling and/or Morning Pages
Appointment with Lori
Another great appointment with Lori! We talked about my breathing exercises and about the places my mind wandered. She then told me about some other breathing exercises that I am to try. It was kind of an “information session” because a lot of it was spent on instructions for the breathing exercises. At the end we did spend a few minutes to discuss my thoughts on my future plans and she helped me to realistically prioritize them. Here are the breathing exercises if you care to give them a try as well:
- Breathing exercise: focus on breathe. Notice thinking, label it as thinking and then refocus on breathe.
- Thinking exercise: You can do the breathing exercise, but become curious about the type of thinking. “Advice giving” thoughts sway your thoughts or are past/future oriented. “Mushroom cloud” is when one thought leads to the next, which leads to the next and so on. It just keeps going and going. “Subtle thoughts” look neutral on the surface but a deeper exploration shows a different type of thought. “Neutral thoughts” are present moment thoughts often focused on the senses.
- Feeling exercise: Focus is on just being. More feeling, less thinking. Pay attention to body sensations and the thoughts/emotions associated with those sensations.
I feel like I have lots to work on!
When I got home I did some snuggling in bed with my mom until I got started on dinner. I made homemade ravioli using won ton wrappers! I followed the recipe that was on the inside of the label and it was delicious! It was easy to make but kind of time consuming because I was preparing it on my own. I ate mine with a few Triscuits. They were incredible and we all agreed that we would have them again. I had no idea egg roll and won ton wrappers were so versatile!
This morning I woke up early (couldn’t sleep) and watched a little tv before I did my puzzles and got up to make my breakfast and check out the snow! I made a tri color pepper scramble, a chai latte and a bowl of my homemade granola with blueberries and banana slices. Mmmm! After breakfast I decided it was time to take action! I wasn’t about to delay things any longer with UNC. I had no real plans for the day so I suggested going to the Y so I could get my run in and then going to Carolina to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to ask a few questions. At the gym I got my 3 miles in, and guess what, I did it in under 30 minutes! If you are a super runner you can go ahead and laugh, but that is great for me haha. I was happy. Sweaty and tired, but happy 🙂 I got a quick shower and then we were off to Chapel Hill! I ate my snack on the way which was caramel crisps and trail mix. I was in and out of the office in no time. My questions were answered/clarified and I have things that I need to go ahead and get on! On the way home we stopped to get a few groceries at Trader Joe’s and then we stopped at Barnes and Nobel. My mom wanted to look for a certain book that they didn’t have but she ended up buying two books for her and I because we have an addiction. When we got home we made our lunches. I had tomato soup, grilled cheese, mini cheese cracker sandwiches, carrots, an apple and greek yogurt.
I was going to ride with Renee this afternoon, but it was way too cold! Muy frio. I feel bad for all my people up north. I know it’s much colder there! I think now I am going to go search for our heating pad…
In other news, I literally JUST got invited to go on a ski trip sometime in the next few weeks. That would be fun, right? The guys are planning it during the week so hopefully my schedule (and wallet) will let me go!
Ok, I’m outta here! Enjoy your evening!